A screening mammogram can detect breast cancer at its earliest stage. Digital mammography is utilized for all mammograms performed at our center. Every year we perform thousands of digital screening mammograms, including the use of computer-aided detection (CAD) to highlight possible problem areas.
Current screening guidelines include:
• Monthly breast-self examination
• Yearly physical examination of breasts by trained professional
• Yearly mammogram starting at age 40
When additional imaging is necessary, our center offers specialized mammogram views and state-of-the-art breast ultrasound. These diagnostic examinations are overseen by our breast imaging experts, who are available to discuss results and any further recommendations with patients at the time of their appointment.
We work closely with our nearby affiliate outpatient imaging center, University Medical Imaging, to facilitate the scheduling of a breast MRI when indicated, and all breast MRIs are interpreted by the breast imaging experts at our center.
When needed, a core needle breast biopsy can be performed at our center with either mammography or ultrasound guidance. Breast biopsy can also be performed using MRI guidance at our affiliate site, University Medical Imaging.
Our doctors are highly trained and experienced in breast biopsy, as well as other specialized procedures such as cyst aspiration, ductography, skin punch biopsy and image-guided wire localization of areas that need to be surgically removed. This means that procedures are performed skillfully and accurately, providing the most reliable results and best outcomes.
In addition, the UA Breast Imaging Center is pleased to announce the availability of cryoablation for the minimally invasive treatment of breast fibroadenomas. Traditionally, open excisional biopsy (i.e., surgery) has been the only option. But now, a minimally invasive option is available that can be performed in the office under local anesthesia.
Bone Density Scanning
The Breast Imaging Center also offers DEXA scans for evaluation of bone mineral density. For convenience, these can be scheduled in conjunction with annual mammograms.
Why Choose Us?
- No referral needed for screening mammograms
- Our doctors are board certified in Diagnostic Radiology and fellowship-trained in mammography; they are dedicated exclusively to breast imaging and are experts in their field
- We work as a team with other breast care specialists at The University of Arizona Medical Center, including oncologists and breast surgeons, to provide the highest level of comprehensive breast care
- We offer supportive, compassionate technologists and staff, performing nearly 20,000 mammograms and other breast imaging studies every year
Scheduling can be arranged by telephone, (520) 694-4034, or by Fax, (520) 694-5993. If you suspect you have a problem or would like immediate free information about breast cancer, call the Breast Cancer Hotline (520) 694-8217.